Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Meeting heroes; cooking zero



I can't believe it's the end of April already. It sure has been a crazy month. Work's been ridiculous and even though Crazy Juliet operates only once a week, I feel that all I've been doing in my kitchen is baking breads, buns and more breads and trying out new recipes for sandwiches.

Not that it hasn't been fun. It's been a blast but when will I ever find the time to cook anything else? Will I ever get down to trying to make David Lebovitz's Chocolate-Covered Salted Peanut Caramel Cups or Smitten Kitchen's New York Cheesecake.

Alas, just as I was about to approach the depths of despair, the (wo)man above seemed to answer my prayers (or perhaps I've been complaining a little too loudly at work): I was given an assignment to cover the World Gourmet Summit in Singapore.

While many of my friends cried foul -- "This assignment is sooooo wasted on you!" they cried, rather cruelly I thought ( I am a small eater and since I am on a permanent diet, I don't indulge much) -- I was delirious as I would be participating in several workshops (a chocolate workshop is one of the highlights) and several food and WINE tastings.


The real highlight however was two sessions and one interview with one of the world's greatest chefs, Spanish gastronomic genius Ferran Adria (pic). If you don't know who he is, you haven't been reading a whole lot about food: read this link! I am a little nervous and a lot excited about the meeting. I have a tendency to either freeze or talk incoherently when interviewing people I really admire and I wonder which of the two embarrassing evils will surface come Thursday. *shudder*

I leave for Singapore tomorrow. So whatever the outcome of my interview,  I vow to return armed with newfound  inspiration and to cook up somethings other than bread and sandwiches next week. Till then, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails