Thursday, March 4, 2010

Let’s eat some drink and be berry, Yo!



It's crazy. I came back from work close to midnight, dead beat and all I wanted to do was bake. Working in the kitchen, I suddenly found a burst of energy. I knew exactly what I wanted to make. I had bought a small tub of blueberries about a week ago because they were ridiculously cheap -- RM5 for 200gms or something like that.



I've been hankering to use them but I just never got round to it because I have been so consumed by making bread. But, at 11.30pm, it was ridiculous  to even contemplate baking a bread. Ok, at 11.30pm it's pretty insane to start baking anything but ...

So I dug out the recipe for a Blueberry Yoghurt Cake with Rum and got crackin. It's an easy cake to make really. It took just 30 mins to prep and another 30 mins to bake. 30 mins to cool, 20 mins to photograph and I was done for the night.

I didn't have rum; only single malt whiskey and some Bailey's Irish Cream and so I used the latter as I felt it would go with the yoghurt and blueberries. The rest of the ingredients I had: plain yoghurt (250 gms), 2 eggs, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1 cup sugar, 2 cups all purpose flour, 1.5 tsp baking powder, 1/5 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp vanilla extract and 250 gms blueberries ( only had 200gms). Oh and 1 tbsp Baileys.

Blend the yoghurt, sugar, vanilla extract, egg and oil till well mixed. Add the flour and mix. Don't overbeat the batter. Fold in the blueberries and trasnfer batter into a greased 10 inch round pan.

Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 30 or 35 mins or till the top of the cake is golden and tester comes out clean. Let it stand for 10 mins once done and then transfer onto rack to cool completely.



This cake doesn't rise all that much; it's soft and smooth and the texture is slightly chewy and moist because of the yoghurt, I think. It's not too sweet; and if that;s a problem you can top it with some glaze or syrup once its oyut of the oven. It was fine for me. You can hardly taste the Bailey's though ... perhaps a little more or next time I'll actually use rum. And If I ever grab some blueberries again, I'll add some lemon zest to the cake for some extra punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails