Thursday, December 24, 2009

A superhero called Spinach

[caption id="attachment_582" align="aligncenter" width="450" caption="Cant go wrong with spinach"][/caption]

Flaky -- not me; but the canola pastry I used for this spinach roll thing. I am not being blasé; I really don't know what to call it. It's not a puff and it didn't roll properly. Let's just say ... spinach pastry, shall we?

Spinach, I find, is the one thing you cannot possibly get wrong. Whether you  cream it or steam it; stuff it in a puff or puree it in a soup, the result is always fantastic.

For this filling, I just cooked the spinach (drained well) in some butter and added some sliched button mushrooms (sauteed first), cherry tomatoes, chopped shallots and garlic and then seasoning. That's it. The tomatoes were more for colour than flavour because nothing should outshine the rich flavour of  spinach. And, it's food you can eat without guilt cos apart from being rich in iron, this superfood is also  rich in betacarotene (second only to carrots) and also a good source of potassium and folates.

And it tastes good. Always. Anyways, back to the recipe; a good final touch would be sprinkling  cheese on the spinach when rolling it in the pastry.

Remember: be strong to the finich and eats lotsa spinach.

If you like this post, you might wanna check out








2 comments:

  1. I was just reading up on canola pastry and from all the recipes I've seen, it seems to work best as a pie or tart shell, not so much in a roll like the one you've made. Having tasted your spinach pastry though, I have to say it was good...

    martythyme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think you're right. The flaky texture would be better for a pie shell too, and less messy. Ah, we live and learn ;) Merry Xmas..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails