Monday, December 14, 2009

Bouchee. Don't pronounce, just devour.

[caption id="attachment_491" align="aligncenter" width="400" caption="Stuffed but still pretty."][/caption]

I had it once at a fancy cocktail party somewhere and I think I spent more time studying my bouchee than actually eating it. Ok, it's pretty small and so all it takes is a  couple of bites (one, if your not concerned about appearing dainty).

And then I forgot about it until last weekend. I was at Bangsar Village II and noticed that the Delicious cafe had an annex that sold food supplies and some other cook's toys: crockery and machinary.  I walked in -- just curious, not intending to buy anything -- and 20 minutes later walked out with a packet of 12 mini bouchee cases. I had to  get them because I hadn't thought of those bouchees since that one time I had them many years ago.

[caption id="attachment_493" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Ready made. "][/caption]

Bouchee shells are basically puff pastry cylinders -- kinda like shot glasses made of puff pastry -- in which you stuff with the filling of your choice. Now, I had no intention of making the shells myself but since they  were all done for me  (all I had to do was stick them in the oven (180 C) for five mins or so to warm them up before serving) I started to get excited and began cracking my head over the filling. (An alternative to the shells would be toasted 2 inch bread circles -- a tad less exciting but just as delicious)

Well, I didn't really crack my head. I knew I wanted mushrooms and spinach and I knew I didn't want them together. So I decided to stuff a couple with Creamed herbed Mushrooms and another two with spinach and caramelised onions.

[caption id="attachment_494" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="spinach and onions."][/caption]

The mushrooms were lovely but I think my new favourite combo is the spinach + caramelised onions. So divine. And so simple. Don't believe me?

How could Popeye not like spinach?


A cup of spinach, washed and cut small


1 tsp garlic


salt and pepper


knob of butter


Melt butter. Add garlic and a couple of minutes later, add spinach and a dash of water. Cook till soft and water evaporates; add seasoning and mash spinach and remove from heat.


The spinach- onion hook-up.


11/2- 2 tbsp Olive oil


2 large red onions


1 tsp brown sugar/balsamic vinger


Heat oil in saucepan till it simmers (medium heat). Add onions and stir a little to coat with oil evenly. Stir occasionally -- not to often or they won't brown well. Five minutes in, add  sugar and let the magic begin. Remove before it burns (letting them burn just a little is quite lovely actually) -- should be about 15 to 20 mins.


Stuff bouchee with spinach mix. Spread onions on plate. Place the stuffed bouchee on the onions. Attack.


I told ya, it's easy when you cheat and use store ready shells.

2 comments:

  1. they've got those pastry cases here, called voul au vents! i will get some and try it with spinach... thanks!


    p.s. no need to make this one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. dont forget the onions. thats the best part.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails