Monday, November 16, 2009

Pie-lette, anyone

[caption id="attachment_210" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="The Apple Pie that made my weekend"]Apple pie-lette[/caption]

Had some apples that I really din want to eat. Had a boyfriend who loves apple pie and apple crumble. It's obvious what I hade to do right?

So began my search for an easy apple pie recipe using ingredients I had in my fridge/pantry. I was way to lazy to go buy anything, rainy weather and all. Thankfully, I managed to find one and with some modifications, I managed a pretty decent pie .... errr, pie-lette actually.

You see, one of the 'ingredients' I didn't have was a pie dish. Had a tart dish and I thought since I was making it for one person (I don't eat desserts -- hence my blog site)  a tart dish was perfect. So I reduced the ingredients to a third of what was recommended.

I also didn't have lime juice, so I used juice of two mini-tangerines and a dash of vinegar. (Dunno what culinary sin I committed there but it tasted pretty darn good).

Thankfully I had one sheet of shortcrust pastry left in the freezer and this proved just nice for one tart dish. It wouldn't have been enough for a pie dish as this recipe is for a double crust pie -- crust on the bottom and the top.

Try it, you'll love it.

♣ Easy and delicious double crust Apple Pie-lette

2/3 small to medium red apples

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground ginger

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/2 cup lime juice (i used orange juice and a dash of vinegar)

1 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small cubes

1 egg yolk, beaten with a little milk

Shortcrust pastry (i used store bought): one sheet to line the base of a tart dish and another to cover the pie.

[caption id="attachment_249" align="alignleft" width="150" caption="Half eaten -- sweet and tangy and oh so juicy"]Applie pie[/caption]

Mix the apples, sugar, clour, cinnamon, ginger and juice and let it sit. Cut the pastry to fit dish and line it. Fill in the apple mix. Dot the tart with butter and cover with the remaining pastry, folding the edges tight. Cut small incisions on the top of the pie and glaze with egg mix. Bake at 180 C for about 40 -45 mins. Let cool for about 1-2 hours before serving. Goes well with ice cream.

And, for a bit of corny, while you are eating this delicious pie, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr-BYVeCv6U

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails