Saturday, June 7, 2014

Warm Farro Salad (with Roasted Vegetables and Red Pepper Pesto)


Knowing how OBSESSED I've been with grains, Jane (The Wayward Oven) bought be a packet of Farro from her holiday in America some time back. I was thrilled. It's strange how I get more excited about ingredients and food items then I do about make up or jewellery. We can't find Farro in Malaysia and I've read about it and was curious about how it'd taste. So, yes, I was super excited with my souvenir (?).


Like quinoa and millet (and rice, actually), I cooked the farro in water following a 1:2 ratio (1/2 cup farro: 1 cup water/stock). Farro however takes a teensy bit longer to cook than millet or quinoa - about 15 minutes (as opposed to 10) and is a bit more chewy and definitely more nutty.

I admit that it took a few chews before I totally fell in love with it. You see, I've been convinced that millet is, by far, the tastiest grain I'll ever eat. But farro ... well, it's a close call. It's more filling, I'll give you that.


I made a warm salad with the farro, with roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts and instead of a dressing or sauce, I went with a red pepper pesto.

If you haven't tried red pepper pesto, you've got to. It's super delicious. Roasted peppers + walnuts + cheese + basil + olive oil. Easy. The sweet and slightly smokey taste of the roasted peppers with the nuts and cheese is just rich. Not too rich for I only added a little cheese. But rich in flavour.


I had some leftover salad and the next day, I took it out of the fridge and put it into the skillet - yes, still cold, and stir-fried it, Asian-style, with an egg. Forget fried rice; go with day-old fried farro. And yes, I still ate it with the pesto because it was just so good!


1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    This is the second time we contacted you about your blog and this is just a follow up. If this message disturbs you, I apologize. I will make sure that this would be my last message that regards to our project.
    We MyTaste.com, one of the biggest recipe search engines in the world, would like to give you an opportunity to add your food blog to the Top Food Blog list, have your recipes indexed on our site and make your recipes available to many people.

    If you want to JOIN TOP FOOD BLOGS, add your blog's URL here>>>
    http://www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs

    This is one of many ways to share your recipes to the world and it can also help you to increase your blog traffic. EXPOSE YOUR BLOG!!
    For any questions: info@mytaste.com
    -Ricky

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails