Saturday, February 1, 2014

Garlic Twists and then some Empanadas


Sometimes the best things happen by chance. Like these garlic twists. They were the result of some extra dough from a batch of empanadas I made for a tea party (read: Chinese New Year gambling do) later today. I didn't make quite enough filling and so I ended up with some dough left over. Not a lot, just enough for about seven twists.

And they were delicious.



I first made empanadas more than a year ago. It was one of the Daring Bakers' challenges and I tried one of two recipes for the dough that was provided by that months' host, Patri (she blogs at Asi son las cosas).

It is an oil based yeasted-dough that's flavoured with salt and chilli flakes. It's crispy on the outside (even without the egg glaze) and slightly chewy inside. And it stays that way even after a couple of days (when you take it out of the fridge and re-heat it). 



For my vegetarian filling, I combined two types of mushrooms with brussel sprouts and hazelnuts with some garlic, parsley, chilli flakes and cream.

For the empanada dough recipe, click on this link, please.

Now for the garlic twists.

I set the dough aside as I prepared the garlic for the twists: cut off just enough of the top of a head of garlic so the cloves are exposed.

Pour 1 tbsp oil in small oven-proof bowl and coat the bottom with the oil. Place the head of garlic, exposed side up, in the bowl and sprinkle some salt over. Cover the bowl with aluminium foil.

Bake in a preheated oven (180C) for about 45 mins.


When the roasted garlic has cooled, squeeze the flesh out of the skins (it will be like squeezing toothpaste from a tube!) into a bowl.

Roll the dough out into a rectangle and spread the garlic on the top surface. Fold the dough in half, lengthwise, and roll it thin (about 3mm).

Cut 1cm strips and twist the dough - hold both ends of a strip and twist in opposing directions.Bring both ends together and seal them by pressing the ends together tight. The look like cute little wreaths.

Lay them on a baking sheet (line it, I didn't and I had a hard time scrubbing it later!). Brush some olive oil on the tops of each twist and sprinkle some salt and/or grated cheese on each one.

Bake in a preheated oven (180C) for about 20 mins.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog looks great, I'll be following now that I found it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog! Am keen to try your Finnish-European food too :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails