Monday, November 28, 2011

You're so very cheesy, cracker!



I love cheese crackers, cheese-flavoured pretzels, cheese straws, cheese puffs, cheese anythings. I even love cheese-flavoured Twisties! And Cheezels. Cheetos? Oooooh, yeah. The key word, as you may have already figured it out, is cheese.

So, when I found this recipe for homemade Goldfish crackers (you've seen them in the grocer, surely, right?) in Tasty Kitchen, I was delighted. What? Make my own Goldfish crackers? Dozens of crackers for myself? Yay!



The problem? I didn't have a cookie cutter in the shape of a goldfish. Or any fish for that matter. Drats. What did I do? I tried to improvise. Didn't work. My fishes looked like mutated whales. Moby Dick wouldn't be pleased. they looked like tadpoles, almost. Urrgh. 

So, I gave up and made crackers in all shapes. I had a fish platter though, as if that helped.

After I got over the initial disappointment of not being able to make actual goldfish crackers (I know, I am quite ridiculous), I got on with the job, all the while waiting in anticipation to eat the cheesy crackers while watching the latest episode of TV series, Homeland.


Turns out, the crackers are easier to make than I imagined. Mix grated cheese, flour, salt and butter together an add some ice cold water and voila — rows of deliciously orange crackers that are cheesy, puffy and crunchy all at once. It's definitely a snack I will be making over and over again. And again. And again. Get the picture?

Not Goldfish Crackers

225 g cheddar cheese (sharp or mild, it's up to you), grated
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

60g cold butter, cut into cubes
2 tbsp cold water

Whisk together the cheese, flour and salt till incorporated. Add the butter and pulse (in your food processor or mixer) till it resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water one tbsp at a time till the crumbs come together. Use your hands to bring the dough together. Wrap in cling film and chill for at least 20 mins.

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Once the dough is chilled, remove and roll out and cut into shapes. Gather the scraps and roll again. And cut. Arrange the shapes on a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 mins or till the crackers have puffed up and crispy. 





2 comments:

  1. Do you have kids who eat these? At what age do you think they can start eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you HAVE to use butter? could it be margarine?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails