Friday, August 5, 2011

Cocktail Scones


I miss being younger (for I am still young, dammit). I used be able to enjoy a half-dozen cocktails and still be able to sound coherent, walk a straight line and wake up the next morning without a hangover. 
I even used to -- occasionally of course -- have a mid-afternoon cocktail (yes, on a work day) and still be able to go back to work with a clear-ish head.

Oh how I miss those days. 

These days, a single glass of Amarula (on the rocks, mind you. And mixed with milk) will having me sprawled on the couch, laughing at nothing in particular.  

If you are thinking, "wimp", I don't blame you. 


So, these days I take my alcohol in my food. 

Don't feel bad for me, it's not quite so sad. In fact it's pretty awesome and these rum-laced scones are proof of that. Now the 2 tbsp of rum will not make anyone drunk. But the rum sure gives these scones flavour and, I don't know if I am imagining it, they did put a little pep in my step.

Imagine this: rum (Captain Morgan, of course), coconut and pineapple. Does that sound like a vacation or what?

Told you not to feel sorry for me -- I'm having a party in my mouth and tummy. 


Party-in-your-mouth Scones

2.5 cups plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
85gm unsalted butter, cold and cut in 1cm cubes
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped pineapple (I used canned pineapple)
1/3 cup greek yoghurt
2 tbsp rum

Preheat the oven to 200C. 

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add the cold butter and using your fingertips mix it into the flour till the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. You can also use a mixer (with the paddle attachment) on low speed.

Add the pineapple and gently stir into the dough. Add the yoghurt and the rum and mix them in gently.
the dough should be sticky but you can add about 1/3 cup more flour if it is too wet.

Transfer the dough onto a well floured surface and shape it into a rectangle with your hands. Don't handle it too much. Divide and cut the rectangle into eight squares and transfer onto a lined baking sheet. 

Bake for 15 mins or until lightly golden on top. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails