Monday, July 25, 2011

Cheesy Strawberry Cup Cakes


My husband thinks I am the world's biggest klutz. Whenever I trip over something (happens quite a bit) or topple a stack of baking trays (happens often enough) or slice my hand while cutting onions (happened just last month) he gives me "the look".

Tak lembut langsung  (not at all gentle/feminine) is what he says I am. A bull in a china shop!

Hmmmph.

So, I baked these strawberry cupcakes and iced them as delicately as I could to show him that I can too be sweet and gentle, even girly.

Of course, I didn't tell him how I had to make two batches of batter because while making the first batch, I accidentally knocked the mixing bowl over, sending half the batter and the strawberries mixed into the it flying.

Batter on the floor, the counter tops, the island, the sink, the fridge, the oven ... all of which was mopped up swiftly while he was playing his guitar upstairs.

But, what he doesn't know, right? (He doesn't read this blog).


So yeah, strawberries. I have been on a strawberry-binge lately. 

Last week I made some Strawberry Ricotta Yoghurt Scones. The strawberries that were baked into the scones were just so juicy, jammy, tasty and sweet, I couldn't help myself and went out and bought another tub of the stuff for these cupcakes.

The recipe for the cupcakes are simple which is important because this allows the strawberries to simply shine. The fruits also lend moisture to the cake so you get a really soft, most cake with tender, almost melting strawberries inside. 

The cream cheese frosting is optional but because it's really light (in texture as well as favour), it complement the cake well. I added some chopped up strawberries in the frosting too just to add some colour (the icing has lovely pink accents) and fruity sweetness to it. 

So, did the cupcakes change R's mind about my femininity (or the lack of)? Nope.

"It's really nice. Did you break anything?"



Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting.

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup castor sugar
11/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped strawberries.

Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a muffin/cupcake tray with liners. 

Mix the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and butter on low speed until it becomes sandy or resembles fine breadcrumbs. 

Add the milk and vanilla and mix till well combined. Add the egg and make sure it well incorporated into the batter. 

Now with a spatula, fold in the strawberries.

Fill the cupcake liners till 2/3 full.

Bake for 20-25 min or till a tester comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for about 10 mins before placing them on a cake rack to let them cool some more. The cake will appear a little soft but will set while they cool.

Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing
2 cups icing sugar
40g unsalted butter, softened
110g cream cheese
5 strawberries, chopped small
1 tbsp milk

Mix the butter, cheese and sugar in an electric mixer till smooth and creamy. add the milk and then the strawberries. The paddle of the mixer will break the strawberries up but that's good because it makes the frosting look really pretty.

Cool in the fridge till the cakes are completely cook and ready to be iced. 


1 comment:

  1. Hello there,

    Can't help smiling when reading your post, especially the last part...did you break anything? Hahaha...

    Take it as a challenge and try your best to be more careful. Prove to him that you can. I am sure you didn't do it on purpose. Who in her right mind, would want to trip over and topple things, which she will then has to put them back in order, right? Unless that fella has nothing better to do...hahaha...

    Anyway, your cupcake looks sweet and girly enough to me... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails