Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mushrooms without the Bruschetta


I love mushrooms. Who doesn't love mushrooms? Well, my husband doesn't but then again, he's wierd.

Everytime I go to a shaopping mall, I end up visiting the grocer. And everytime I visit the grocer, I end up buying mushrooms. I loooove mushrooms. Oh wait, I've said that already. So today I wanted to make Jamie Oliver's Ultimate Mushroom Bruschetta just because it sounded so delicious and so simple. Really simple. I mean it.

Problem was, I didn't have any bread. Not a problem, I'd just eat the mushrooms sans the bread. A mushroom tapas. Yay!

So, here's what you need for:

Jamie's Ultimate Mushroom (without the) Bruschetta 

2 cups of mixed mushrooms (small ones can be left whole, bigger ones cut in half). I used a mix of fresh shittake, swiss brown, white button and baby oysters.
olive oil (Jamie Oliver talks in terms of "glugs" of oil so... you have to estimate)
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
A handful of chopped parsley/thyme
1-2 tsp crushed red chillies
Knob of butter
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper.



Use a frying pan that's big enough so that all the mushrooms fit in one layer. This is mostly so they cook evenly and are equally browned and delicious together. Heat the pan and add a couple of glugs (about 2 2 tbls) of olive oil.

Add the mushrooms and toss them around a bit so they are all nciely quoted in the oil.

Add the chopped garlic and herbs and toss the shrooms around again.

Season with salt and pepper and chili flakes and keep on the heat for about 3-5 mins. If the shrooms get dry, pour in a little more oil. Your aim here is to get the mushrooms golden.

Once their colour turns, add the butter and lemon juice and toss again.

Now, if you're making Jamie's msuhroom bruschetta, you'll want a creamy sauce for your mushrooms. To get this creamy sauce, add 2-3 tbsps of water into the pan. Simmer for a little longer, until a nice sauce that just loosely coats the mushrooms.

If you're just gonna eat the mushrooms without any bread, like me, then you can ignore the extra bit of water and remove the mushrooms from the heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails