Friday, January 7, 2011

Pucker up for a Quiche


Googling is fun. 

While waiting for these pictures to upload this morning, I decided to do a google search on "quiche". Most of what came up were recipe sites or blog sites featuring quiches in their many incarnations. 

Next page. More recipes.

And then I came upon this utterly ridiculous story that was published in the Daily Mail (go figure!). A young woman shopping at Tesco was apparently asked to produce her ID when she wanted to purchase a quiche.

I've read many a strange story but  an ID for a quiche? Do quiches in the UK have alcohol (or some extra something) in them that I've never heard of? What haven't Jamie Oliver and Nigel Slater been sharing with us?

Turns out, it was a mistake. The management of Tesco apologised to 24-year-old Christine Cuddihy and she got to go home with her quiche. 

Ah. my pictures are uploaded. No need for more stories.

I remember the first time I tried a quiche. It was about 14 years ago and I was having lunch with a bunch of colleagues. Yes, I guess I am quite freaky in that I remember random details like this. I even remember what I was wearing that day. But, ask me what the password for my twitter account is and I can't for the life of me remember.

So anyway. It was at this nice little "English" cafe in Petaling Jaya and I had a Mushroom and Onion Quiche. It was delicious. I devoured the rather large portion in five bites. Ok, this I am just making up but I remember going through it rather quickly ... and contemplating another piece even.  

I've been in love with quiches ever since. What's not to like? A baked savoury egg tart enriched with cream and cheese and any kind of savoury filling you could imagine, sitting in a soft, melt-in-your-mouth crust that's just full of buttery goodness. It's just wunnerful. Good for breakfast, lunch or dinner or just as a snack.  


Last night, I made some mini quiches with the ingreidents I had left in my fridge.

Traditionally, the egg is mixed with cream. Cheese and the desired filling is then added to the egg mixture. Next comes the seasoning and then the egg mixture is scooped (or poured) into the already pre-baked pastry shells. (For more on the shells, go to my previous post).

Well, I'd run out of cream so I used milk instead. I had no mushrooms or spinach, only brocolli so that went into my quiche, lightly cooked in olive oil with some garlic and red pepper flakes. Thankfully I still had lots of cheese. I was set.  



(Any) Vegetable (you like) Quiche
4 eggs 
1 cup milk/cream
1/2 cup (or more) Parmesan cheese (You can, of course, mix your cheeses. I added some mozzarella too)
1 cup Broccoli, cut into small florets, parboiled and sauteed with garlic and red chilli peppers
salt and pepper to taste

Beat the eggs and whisk in the milk/cream. Add the cheese and the sauteed broccoli/mushroom or whatever else vegetable you want to add. 

Pour the mixture over the pre-baked pastry shells and bake in a pre-heated oven (180C) for about 25-30 mins or until the custard has set and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails