Monday, May 3, 2010

Scrambled eggs, 2.0



I have never been a fan of scrambled eggs. The wet-ish texture just of this popular breakfast dish has always made me steer clear of it. I am, however, the minority. scrambled eggs are a favourite breakfast dish all over the world. Baked, double boiled, microwaved and even baked, there are a multitude of ways to jazz up your scrambled eggs. If you're interested to vary your method, you might want to check out this site that's dedicated to scrambled eggs. Yeah, can you believe it?

As for me, I like my eggs well done. Fried or as an omelette (or its variants -- fritatas and quiches are fine) are as far as I'll go. So it's rare that I order scrambled eggs. When I visited India a couple of years ago however, I decided to try the Indian version of  scrambled eggs, called egg bhurjee, at my hotel in Delhi.

I loved it. Firstly because it was kinda spicy. Secondly, it wasn't wet at all. No, I lie. The dish was a little wet but the eggs were completely set. The moisture was from the tomatoes added into the eggs, giving it also a sourness that added some zing into an otherwise predictable flavour.

The indian scramble had onions (lots of it), some spices (I detected cumin and chilli powder), curry leaves and chilli. Once I discoevered this jewel, I ordered it at the different hotels I stayed in all accross Rajasthan only to discover that even a dish like this varied in each location.



In India, the egg bhurjee is not confined to breakfast. You can have it as a side dish to eat with your rice or flat breads. Sometimes, paneer or Indian cheese can substitute the eggs (just as tofu can substitute eggs in a vegan scramble) and this too is delicious.

For my spicy scramble, I added some boiled potatoes (take it out before your fork can pierce right through it; cubed), green chillies, tomatoes, onions, red chilli flakes, cumin and a little bit of tumeric and seasoned with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails