Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Yoghurt makes all the difference



Sweet muffins are so yesterday. As are cupcakes. Ok I probably added the latter because I totally suck at making pretty cupcakes. But I stand by my boredom with dessert muffins. Banana? Yawn. Blueberry? Meh. Chocolate? Slightly better, but still ...

So when I came across a recipe for yoghurt/sour cream muffins (from non other than Mr Bittman in his How to Cook Everything Vegetarian book) I pounced on it, got my apron on (yeah i do wear an apron -- kinda makes me feel like a cook) and started beatin, whiskin and bakin. Did I mention it was almost midnight? Crazy!

It is a pretty simple recipe and only uses about 1/4 cup sugar (yay) with 11/4 cup yoghurt (slurp). Mix the yoghurt with an egg and 1 tbsp butter and add these to 2 cups all purpose flour, 3 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt and the sugar (all sifted and mixed together) and you have your slight lumpy (it's supposed to be like that) batter.

I had some dates in my fridge (he he, not the men I didn't find interesting..) and although the recipe didn't mention any other add ons, I though some sweet dates would go well with the yoghurt flavoured muffins.

[caption id="attachment_765" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="A fun date-muffin. Now that's a term of endearment"][/caption]

I was right. Not too many dates though, maybe half  a medium sized date (chopped small) per muffin ... oh my god, what a treat. The muffins aren't sweet -- so if you have a sweet tooth you may pooh-pooh this recipe -- but they're yoghurty (is there such a word? Well, there should be) and the  dates give the required(almost caramel)  sweetness. The consistency is not as moist as your regular muffin; more like bread. Maybe we should call this a bruffin?

Ok, I will stop coining ridiculous words.

It took me about 15 minutes to make the batter and 25 mins to cook, so I was done by 1am. By then though I was too amped up  to sleep so I took out my camera and started shooting.

What a loon. But a date-bruffin stuffed loon. Things could be worse  ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails