Monday, October 12, 2009

Nuts about granola

I love muesli and granola; more so if they come in the form of a bar and are coated with yoghurt of filled with nuts. For a while, muesli bars were all I ate for at least a month. Then I found something else I loved (will save this for another post).  Anyways, Ifound myself spending a ridiculous amount of money on granola bars -- they aren't cheap; well, not the really good and tasty ones. So I decided to look for a great recipe  for granola/muesli bars and make my own bars. I consulted one of my all time fav cooks (Martha Stewart) online ... well, I went to her website ... and a couple others and made my very own granola bar. And I haven't bought a store bought bar in quite a while now.

[caption id="attachment_6" align="alignnone" width="468" caption="Save a bundle; make your own"]Save a bundle; make your own[/caption]

If you want to try it:

Delicious bars ♣



1½ cups rolled oats
2½ cups pine nuts, cashew nuts, walnuts or any other nut
2 tbsp butter
1 heaped tbsp apricot (or any other) jam
1½ tbsp maple syrup
¼ cup brown sugar
½ tsp salt
¾ tsp ground cinnamon



Lightly toast the oats and nuts (you can add pumpkin seeds, raisins and dried
fruit too) in a skillet till aromatic. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Melt butter in a skillet and mix in jam, syrup, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Cook till it thickens and starts bubbling. Pour into the toasted mixture and combine well. Transfer to a 17cm baking pan (lined with cling film) and press the mixture flat and tight. Cover and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes to set. Cut into bars or squares and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of sweetness, but your picture is so professional. I like the napkin and the black background. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It is a tad sweet but loverly :) and unfortunately cant take credit for this pic... was taken by andrew @photoroom :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails